--- Jochem van Dieten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> David Blomstrom wrote:
> > --- Jochem van Dieten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >
> > "So how are you going to put Russia in both Asia
> and
> > Europe? How are you going to put Turkey in both
> Asia
> > and Europe? Egypt in Africa and Asia?"
> >
> > Egypt is in Africa, not Asia.
>
> Usually the part on the eastern side of the Suez
> canal is
> regarded as being part of the Middle East, hence
> Asia.
>

> > Russia and Turkey pose a
> > problem, but if I can't figure it out, I'll just
> > choose Europe OR Asia, then explain it in the
> text.
>
> How about having just 3 tables:
>
> AreaTypes:
> AreatypeID AreaType
> 1          Continent
> 2          Country
> 3          City
> 4          etc.
>
> Areas:
> AreaID     Area      AreaTypeID
> 1          Europe    1
> 2          France    2
> 3          Germany   2
> 4          Paris     3
>
> AreaHierargy:
> AreaID     ParentID
> 1          NULL
> 2          1
> 3          1
> 4          2
>
> Just walk the tree :)

Wow, that looks like a great scheme. I'll probably
replace the numerals with ISO codes, FIPS codes and
letter abbreviations, so your last table might look
something like this:

AreaHierargy:
AreaID     ParentID
eu          eurasia
fr          eu
gm          eu
fr001       fr

And then when I want to add data, like the names of
capital cities, population, etc. I can just create
additional tables and join them to these using shared
ID fields, right?

Thanks; I think I'll give this a try right now.