On 04.06.2004 20:46 (+0200), Sasha Pachev wrote:
Subquery optimizer is still is a very early stage in 4.1. Much more often than not, a carefully crafted join, union, or a sequence of queries using a temporary table will be faster. In fact, I wonder if it is even possible to write a machine subquery optimizer that will outperform a good human "optimizer" that re-writes them into something better digestible. Kind of like no super-smart JIT will ever beat a good C programmer on execution speed, although it might help with the development time.

Could there be a program that I can present my query and it gives me some alternatives with a benchmark of them? This may help me to create optimized queries and may inspire me to optimize them even further into a direction I didn't think of yet...

--
Yves Goergen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

BlackBoard Internet Newsboard System --> blackboard.unclassified.de
Free (GPL), easy to use and install, secure, innovative! (PHP+MySQL)