I have never done anything like this but after looking at the spec's I have
a possible direction for you....

In String functions there is

LOCATE(substr,str,pos)
The first syntax returns the position of the first occurrence of substring
substr in string str. The second syntax returns the position of the first
occurrence of substring substr in string str, starting at position pos.
Returns 0 if substr is not in str.

I think that if you create a function that uses this to strip the string to
the left of the last found space and that returns the string to the right
you could call this in your query and use it in the order by statement.