Annie,

Try opening a telnet session from your Win2K box to your Linux box using
port 3306. If your MySQL server is there, you will see the version number
of your server embedded in some other data. You can either close the
connection or wait for it to time out.  IF you got your version number,
your MySQL server will be visible to your ODBC driver on that port. You can
use this telnet trick to "ping" your MySQL servers on other ports (like 22)
as one way to verify that they are bound to the ports they are supposed to
be listening on.

One other interesting thing about myODBCD 3.51 I discovered is that I had
to declare an initial database in order to connect. If you are using the
MySQL client you can defer "USE"-ing a database until after you connect but
I couldn't get my drivers to connect without declaring a database in the
data source.

HTH,
Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine

                      Annie Law

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      .ca>                     cc:

                                               Fax to:

                      06/08/2004 02:16         Subject:  myODBC connect problems

                      PM

Hi,

I would appreciate help on the following.
I have installed myODBC 3.51 on my Windows 2000 computer.
I am trying to connect mysql database on a linux server.
I configured the ODBC data source adminstrator from the
administrative tools.
After trying to add a new data source and entering all of the appropriate
fields I get the error "Lost connection to MySQL server during query"
The error shows up immediately.
The only change I made was to change the port to 22.

I use port 22 when I try to make a putty connection or WinSCP.
I have no problems connecting to the server when using this method.
I also don't have any problems connecting to the database after connecting
with putty or using mysqlcc.

I tried to used the default method of using port of 3306 and I get
an error as well "Can't connect to MySQL server on ..."

I am not sure what the problem is?

thanks very much.