On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 01:45:49PM +0100, Marvin Wright wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are about to build some new database servers and I have some questions
> which I'd like some advice on.
>
> The machines we are building have 4 Xeon 2GHz CPU's, 4 x 32GB SCSI disk
> using RAID 1+0 (so thats 64GB of storage) and 4 Gig of RAM.

Consider RAID10: http://www.acnc.com/04_01_10.html
As opposed to 0+1: http://www.acnc.com/04_01_0_1.html

You'd think they're the same but they're subtly different leading to
very different characteristics. Note the Recommended Application for
10 is a database server.

>   Which file system would you recommend for this ?  I've seen many
> recommendations for ReiserFS but have no experience of it.

I use xfs on my Debian MySQL server. Specs are pretty similar, two
2.8GHz Xeons, 4 36GB U320 drives (in RAID10, which is superb), and 4GB
of memory. My /db has 418 inodes used, and 16G used out of the 30G on
it; making for quite a large average filesize. To be honest, the
filesystem isn't really my bottleneck - with 4GB, MySQL and the OS
have tons of caching room, and the filesystem is doing maybe 40k/s of
sustained activity with the odd burst of real work. You'll probably
like to at least check xfs out.

>   Should I use a pre-compiled binary or should I compile one myself ?

I found it makes so little difference it's not worth worrying about. I
use the apt package for ease of upgrade and dependencies.

>   Should the 2 disks for storage be split up into partitions or just 1 large
> partition per disk ?

Always partition. You get to choose which filesystem suits each
partition best. My preference; ext3 for /, xfs for /db, ext2 for /dump.
/ does very little work but I want it consistant so ext3 is fine.
/dump stores backups (which are mirrored elsewhere) and I don't care
if its trashed, but I want it fast when I am using it.

> Is there anything else I should consider when configuring the machines that
> affect the performance ?

Linux 2.6 probably isn't in RedHat 7.3 base, but you'll want to try
it. It's faster than 2.4. My configuration was quite happy doing
35,000 selects per second (with super-smack, an arbitrary benchmarking
tool); with 2.4 it was a few thousand lower.

--
Chris