Hi,

I need some help please! I have 60GB of proxy logs to parse and load into a mysql database. I've written a parsing script but I'm stuck now on how to load the data in.

I have a database called PROXY_LOG with 2 tables:

USER_TABLE
user_id   date_time   url_id   size

and

URL_TABLE
url_id   url   category

The data values I have for each record are:

user_id   date_time   size   url   category

for example:

u752359   2004-04-02 12:33:04   3403   http://www.mysql.com/index.html
business

The problem is I'm not sure how to load the data into the 2 tables and set the url_id. Could anyone point me in the right direction please?

Many thanks,

js.

js,
Is this a one time operation? If so, you could create a temporary table with all the fields:

BIG_TABLE
user_id   date_time   url_id   size  url  category

and use Load Data InFile to load the data into this one table. Then create the two smaller tables using:

create table USER_TABLE select user_id, date_time, url_id, size from BIG_TABLE;
create table URL_TABLE select url_id, url, category from BIG_TABLE;
drop table BIG_TABLE;

So there you have it in 3 lines of code. :-)

Mike

P.S. If you could break the text file into two files to begin with, then two Load Data InFile statements would handle things nicely.

Thanks Mos, that sounds ideal but the url_id value has to come from the database.

js.