"Dan Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Will the number of databases being handled by MySQL affect it's speed
> regardless of the actual load being put on MySQL or should I look farther
> into OS issues which could be causing system hangups and slowdowns?

Yes, investigate the OS.

>The age
> of the OSes in the high end servers is a bit of a sore point but cannot be
> addressed at this point in time and are currently as secure as possible in
> all relevant software interacting with the outside world.

Also please ensure that  you are running prebuilt RPM binaries downloaded from
mysql.com. Sometimes improperly built binaries may cause such weirdness.

Is there some useful error messages in the .err files when data is being
inserted?

  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Egor Egorov
       <___/   www.mysql.com