In just installed mysql 3.23.58 on my debian system. and copied my.conf to /etc/mysql/
I tried to start the the database by
>mysqld  --user=mysql&
and it works just fine

but as I tried to start it by
>./bin/safe_mysqld --user=mysql&                 or     >./support-files/mysql.server start
there is only one line of response:  starting mysqld daemon with database from /usr/local/mysql/data
and then when I typed in "mysql"
I got "Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock'"

But there is the right reponse(version number and other stuff) when I telnet to its port 3306.

I found the sock file is in /tmp/mysqld.sock instead of the path in my.conf "var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock'"

so I changed all the socket path in  the configuration file (client and mysqld) to make it point to /tmp/mysql.sock,

but again there is error message "Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysqld.sock'"

this time I cannot even find the mysqld.sock file anymore...

now I totally have no idea why

would anybody throw me some light?

Thanks!!