A few pointers:

Almost every time, the issue is queries that need optimization. Figure out
which queries are happening at the slow times and look those over
carefully. I cannot count how many times I was asked to throw hardware at
an issue related to MySQL which was really related to bad queries or full
table scans that an index fixed immediately.

I would not worry about swap; remember ALL apps and the System use swap.
You are not having RAM issues, so do not worry about the RAM. Note the
buffer number: that is data that can be cleared out of memory if the system
requires it.  Let your system worry about the swap and RAM allocation.
Looks like you are using a Unix type OS, try "top", a great little tool
that will show you listings of processes real time with the heap info. But
I would worry more about what the queries are doing.

Good luck.

Ben Ricker

--

Ben Ricker
Web Administrator

                      "Misao"

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                      akeasy.net>              cc:       (bcc: Ben
Ricker/STL/MASTERCARD)
                                               Subject:  Server optimization issue

                      06/10/2004 12:27

                      PM

I have 4 MySQL 4.0.16 servers, all with Dual 3ghz Xeons and 4GB of RAM.
They use InnoDB for all tables, and the ibdata file is 70GB.
The DBs seem to be a little slow, and the darn thing is always using a huge
chunk of swap. I've tried increasing and decreasing what it's allowed to
use, but this seems to be the best working settings.

Here are my InnoDB settings in my.cnf:
innodb_log_files_in_group=2
innodb_log_file_size=512M
innodb_buffer_pool_size = 1512M
innodb_additional_mem_pool_size = 20M

Can any optimizations be done to this, or do I just need to get more RAM
for
these servers? I believe I can go up to 6GB of RAM, but it requires an OS
upgrade to handle anything over 4GB. I know that the biggest DB in that
chunk is about 20GB itself, with around 5-10GB in it's biggest table.

Memory status:

Mem:  3943852K av, 3938184K used,    5668K free,       0K shrd,  209456K
buff
Swap: 2096440K av, 1895456K used,  200984K free                 1921172K
cached

Any help would be appreciated, this seemed easier to tweak when it was a
MyISAM server.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This e-mail message and any attachments are only for the use of the intended recipient
and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure
under applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,
distribution or other use of this e-mail message or attachments is prohibited.  If you
have received this e-mail message in error, please delete and notify the sender
immediately. Thank you.