> I have a table that has a few short text fields [text(4000), text(1000)]
> I would like to index. Do you think it is a good idea to index them
> "simply", or is it better if I create auxilary fields which hold the MD5
> for the text fields and index those? Would that be faster?

Try 'Fulltext' indexes. However, they will only work if you are
using myiasm tables. They do not work on innodb tables. Instead
of using 'LIKE', you should use 'MATCH' to take advantage of
these indexes.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Fulltext_Search.html

Johannes Ullrich                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
contact: http://johannes.homepc.org/contact.htm