Hi all,

We've had some cases where an OPTIMIZE TABLE failed because we ran out
of disk-space (error message "28 when fixing table"). All subsequent
operations gave us an error 144 ("Table is crashed and last repair
failed"), resulting in partial backups and partially updated databases.

What I'd like to do is check on the table's condition *before* doing
something that might give us that error message. I'm assuming there's a
status bit somewhere that says that the table is crashed, and basically
I'd like to be able to read that bit.

CHECK TABLE or myisamchk is not really an option, because with the size
of tables we're using that can take over an hour, even with the -q flag.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,                                        - Jacco