Thanks Shawn you ahve been very hyelpful indeed and have helped clarify my
thoughts on finding a solution for this problem of 2 structurally different
DB's.

The first DB is SQL and holds all compnay data the second is MySQLand holds all
website products which are snippets from the SQL what I need to do is pull the
main fields from the SQL and insert them inot the MySQL.

However, and there is always a however they are structurally very different, so
my theory was set a structure for the MySQL pull records from the SQL and rename
the fields and then insert into the MySQL... but the insert would have to be
inot 3 tables as there are some joins with products_id and a category_id so its
not that straightforward.... the alternative is to print off the records from
the SQL and typoe them all in by hand into the MySQL  which doesn't sound like
the 21st century!

I guess I just need a insert that will read a CSV file is that possible? 3
tables on one line?

this is the structure of the 3 tables

#
# Table structure for table `products`
#

CREATE TABLE `products` (
  `products_id` int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment,
  `products_quantity` int(4) NOT NULL default '0',
  `products_model` varchar(12) default NULL,
  `products_image` varchar(64) default NULL,
  `products_image_med` varchar(64) default NULL,
  `products_image_lrg` varchar(64) default NULL,
  `products_image_sm_1` varchar(64) default NULL,
  `products_image_xl_1` varchar(64) default NULL,
  `products_image_sm_2` varchar(64) default NULL,
  `products_image_xl_2` varchar(64) default NULL,
  `products_image_sm_3` varchar(64) default NULL,
  `products_image_xl_3` varchar(64) default NULL,
  `products_image_sm_4` varchar(64) default NULL,
  `products_image_xl_4` varchar(64) default NULL,
  `products_image_sm_5` varchar(64) default NULL,
  `products_image_xl_5` varchar(64) default NULL,
  `products_image_sm_6` varchar(64) default NULL,
  `products_image_xl_6` varchar(64) default NULL,
  `products_bimage` varchar(64) default NULL,
  `products_price` decimal(15,4) NOT NULL default '0.0000',
  `products_moq` varchar(32) NOT NULL default '',
  `products_pppack` varchar(16) NOT NULL default '',
  `products_date_added` datetime default NULL,
  `products_last_modified` datetime default NULL,
  `products_date_available` datetime default NULL,
  `products_weight` decimal(5,2) NOT NULL default '0.00',
  `products_status` tinyint(1) NOT NULL default '0',
  `products_tax_class_id` int(11) NOT NULL default '0',
  `manufacturers_id` int(11) default NULL,
  `products_ordered` int(11) NOT NULL default '0',
  PRIMARY KEY  (`products_id`),
  KEY `idx_products_date_added` (`products_date_added`)
) TYPE=MyISAM AUTO_INCREMENT=2 ;

#
# Dumping data for table `products`
#

INSERT INTO `products` VALUES (1, 5000, 'sytlenumber0', NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL,
NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL,
'2.0000', '30', '5', '2004-06-15 15:49:37', NULL, NULL, '4.00', 1, 0, 0, 0);

# --------------------------------------------------------

#
# Table structure for table `products_description`
#

CREATE TABLE `products_description` (
  `products_id` int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment,
  `language_id` int(11) NOT NULL default '1',
  `products_name` varchar(64) NOT NULL default '',
  `products_description` text,
  `products_url` varchar(255) default NULL,
  `products_viewed` int(5) default '0',
  PRIMARY KEY  (`products_id`,`language_id`),
  KEY `products_name` (`products_name`)
) TYPE=MyISAM AUTO_INCREMENT=2 ;

#
# Dumping data for table `products_description`
#

INSERT INTO `products_description` VALUES (1, 1, 'test name', 'html table that
could be an image!', '', 0);
INSERT INTO `products_description` VALUES (1, 2, '', '', '', 0);
INSERT INTO `products_description` VALUES (1, 3, '', '', '', 0);

# --------------------------------------------------------

#
# Table structure for table `products_to_categories`
#

CREATE TABLE `products_to_categories` (
  `products_id` int(11) NOT NULL default '0',
  `categories_id` int(11) NOT NULL default '0',
  PRIMARY KEY  (`products_id`,`categories_id`)
) TYPE=MyISAM;

#
# Dumping data for table `products_to_categories`
#

INSERT INTO `products_to_categories` VALUES (1, 28);

Andrew