Well, Tim, since you can't fix the data on the way out of the database (the
original application), you will have to fix it on the way in.  My best
advice is to create 3 new tables in MySQL that look just like your 3 raw
data files.  Use a LOAD DATA INFILE command to populate each of your 3
"raw" tables. That solves the problem of getting the data _into_ MySQL.
Make all columns nullable on your raw import tables and do not create any
indexes.  If you do not have names for your columns in your original data
you can call them anything like "col001" just so that you have somewhere
for your data to land.

The next problem will be to move it about in such a way that it fits into a
useful data structure (especially into something with columns that have
been usefully named).  It all depends on what you need to do with the data
after import. :-(

I am sorry but I don't know of any good resources to help beyond the MySQL
manual and Google searches (search in both in the WEB and GROUPS areas).

Yours,
Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine

                      Tim Johnson

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      .com>                    cc:

                                               Fax to:

                      06/15/2004 03:14         Subject:  Concatenating tables

                      PM

Hello mysql gurus:

We are importing data from 3 CSV files.
Documentation regarding the originating
database is for the most part, not available
to us.

Translating directly from CSV to .sql files, we
can see that the three files are really the
first, second and third parts of one huge table
and could be merged into one. This would simplify
queries for us.

We realize that eventually, normalization should
be applied, but for the interim, can we expect
a performance penalty if we "concatenate" the
the 3 tables into 1.

Taken as a sum, we should have about 330 columns
and 5000+ rows.

Comments would be appreciated.
Pointers to documentation on this subject
are also quite welcome.

Thanks in Advance

Regards;
--