#free disk space.
innodb_data_file_path = ibdatal:10M:autoextend
#Set buffer pool size to
#50 -80 % of your computer's
#memory
#set-variable = innodb_buffer_pool_awe_mem=500M
set-variable = innodb_buffer_pool_size=70M
set-variable = innodb_additional_mem_pool_size=10M
#Set the log file size to about
#25% of the buffer pool size
set-variable = innodb_log_file_size=20M
set-variable = innodb_log_buffer_size=8M
#Set ..flush_log_at_trx_commit
#to 0 if you can afford losing
#some last transactions
innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit=1

Sometimes I could get  4.1.2 to install if I deleted my.ini.

The book mentions a series of startup messages when standalone is entered - I never get them - the cmd prompt(mysql monitor) disappears. I read in the manual that that is normal and to open another, this works.
The server is installed and starts when I boot up but isn't showing as started in services dialog. I've mentioned this twice because it seems significant tho' I don't know in what way.
At the time of sending this message the service running issues are as described (using version 4.0) but the set password function works (it didn't with 4.1 [EMAIL PROTECTED] was not recognized) and I have been able to move on to creating databases and tables.
Should I accept things as they are or is there a fix?
Peter Turner
Melbourne, Australia