Hello,

I'm trying to get my brain around this problem. I have a database that stores news articles. This database grows and grows, and I need a way to archive older articles, preferably in a "dump" format similar to that produced mysqldump. Is there a way to do a mysqldump based on a query, or is there some other intelligent method of doing this?

I have thought of a script that would create a temporary table, delete from the main table, then dump that temporary table to a file, then drop the temporary table. Is there a better way?

As an aside, the files created by mysqldump have "drop table"s at the top. Is there a way to turn that off, so that if I want to restore last week's news, I don't accidentally delete this week's.

Thanks!

J.