On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 09:01:57 -0500
"Scott Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Every one,
>
> I'm back to using Mysql after being away doing too many Microsoft
> job. hahaha
>
> I'm installing my first MySQL in about five years and I'm perplexed
> with the the added formats of batabase table. What are the pro's and
> con's of the DBD and InnoDB formats over the origional Binary?

I assume you mean "BDB" not "DBD".

In a nutshell, these two table types add support for foreign keys and ACID compliant
transactions.  I am not sure of the major difference between BDB and InnoDB, InnoDB
seem to be the more popular choice.

> Just as a note, I'm trying to setup a small company with DBmail and
> MySQL. So file blobs and back logs of saved data will be the norm.
> I'm also going to be storing faxes as well.

Chance are for this type of application you will just want to use the default MyISAM
table handler which does not have Transactions and Foreign Keys, but would provide
more speed for this type of database usage.

You should probably read or at least glance through all of Chapter 15 on the online
manual:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Table_types.html

Josh