Unless you have a specific need for it, you could save yourself a lot of trouble by putting select tables or databases or even clients on each server. This also means you don't incur the added overhead of keeping the database in sync, creating actions if a master goes down, etc. Then just tell client1 to use database5 as their hostname for example. Replication requires that updates go to the master, which requires client-side code, or an intermediate daemon which analyzes the statement and forwards the request.

-Mike

From: "Peter J Milanese" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Roy Nasser" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
CC: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: MySQL & Web Clustering...
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 11:25:45 -0400

I currently run LVS (pre-distribution) on my farm, which gets about 100M
hits/month.

Good points about LVS are that it is completely rock solid, and runs on
minimal hardware.

I have never run MySQL behind it, as I think that would be a bit flaky for
a live site. Probably
worth checking out though. I would think that instead of LVS Load
Balancing, server failover
might be a more viable path for MySQL.

"Roy Nasser" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
06/18/2004 01:58 PM