I am unable to install DBD::mysql in my environment shown below
RedHat Linux 9
perl v5.8.0
DBI-1.42
mysqld Ver 4.0.18-standard

After unzipping and untarring the DBD-mysql-2.9003.tar.gz ( obtained from CPAN ), in
the DBD-mysql-2.9003 directory
I tried the following
mkdir /tmp/mysql-static
cp /usr/lib/mysql/*.a  /tmp/mysql-static
perl Makefile.PL --libs="-L/tmp/mysql-static -lmysqlclient"
make

It fails.
When I looked at the Makefile created by 'perl Makefile.PL ..' command, I find there
are lines that cause make to fail
Mostly they are constants that are not properly quoted.

Is there a proper tar.gz file that I can use in my ( RH Linux 9) environment stated
above that someone was able to successfully install?

Any advice or help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Raj Kairam