I have MySQL 4.1 installed via rpm.  I just installed a new hd because I
want another MySQL installation on the same machine but acting as a
replication server.

At the same time, I want to try out MaxDB on this new installation.  Does
that mean that I can't set up a master/slave replication with the hdb and
hda?  Or can I go ahead and have a different config with the new instance
and simply follow the instructions for setting up replication as normal?

Also, I have the source rpm, I figure I can tweak it to install into my
new location which is /mysql2 .  Is that all I need to do make sure that
it won't interfere with the current install?  How about command such as
mysqladmin and mysql, etc....