First: thank you for sparing so much time with me.

> There are 3 major factors determining your performance: 1) the
> speed of the
> CPU, 2) the size if your RAM, and 3) the data transfer speed of
> your disks.

I thought that the size of tables in the db would have made a difference.
>From the analysis you did and from my tests it doesn't look so...

> 5) If your application is smart enough, you can split your data over
> several servers. This would be a SERIOUS performance increase.

In fact I'm writing a jdbc driver in java that I hope will be included
in c-jdbc (http://c-jdbc.objectweb.org/), which is a java database
cluster middleware (check it out, it seems very interesting)

> 2) you can move parts of your data to other disks. Using multiple I/O
> channels should be faster than a single channel.

That is what I am trying right now, but I am having problems because
it seems that there is no disk I/O if I access by index on my tables,
even if I access most of the table data (while with a table scan
disks work as expected).

Does it happen because I have 1Gb of Ram? If yes: I know that this
sounds like a silly question but... How can I "fill" the memory of my
machine so it doesn't cache data? (I can't just remove memory, I don't
have physical access to the machine)

Thank you