From: "Egor Egorov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 4:10 PM
Subject: Re: question on auto increment field

 Scott Haneda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 > on 06/23/2004 12:14 AM, Joe Wong at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
 >
 >>   If it possible to limit the max value of an auto increment field to
say,
 >> 9999,9999 and how to do it? I am using MySQL 4.0.18.

No. The maximum value for the auto_increment column can be limited by the
maximum value of the column type(tinyint, int, mediumint etc.).

> > I am not sure, as a 'hack' you could simply insert a blank record with
the
 > value set to 9999,9999, once you reach that limit and try to insert a
 > record, a error would be generated, no new records would be able to be
 > inserted until this was resolved.

It will not work, because if you insert dummy row and set auto_increment
value to 9999, the next generated auto_increment value will be 10000.

--
Paul DuBois, MySQL Documentation Team
Madison, Wisconsin, USA