Hey fellas,

I think he is trying to ask for the release date (if there is one) for the
clustering index to have the option be be a DESCENDING index. I hope he is
using InnoDB as that is the only table type that stores records in a
specific order.

In the short term - improving the ORDER BY ... DESC performance may be
easier to implement. If that is sufficiently fast, a descending storage
order may not be needed for acceptable performance.

Respecfully,
Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine

                      Alejandro Heyworth

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      ciples.com>                 cc:

                                                  Fax to:

                      06/23/2004 04:09 PM         Subject:  Re: INDEX DESC

 >I don't see any relationship between your two sentences?
Thanks for the responses.

I guess I was not clear enough in my last post.

You can define an index to sort values in a particular order...  ASC is the

default.
DESC is an option, but it is not implemented yet.  I want to know when it
will be implemented.

I would like the values in my table to be stored in DESC order.

For example, I want to read ranges of values from my db in the opposite
order of how they are currently being indexed without using an extra ORDER
BY in my select. This ORDER BY forces an internal sort to put the result
set in DESC order which slows my SELECT.

Currently, if I insert integer values into a table with an index ASC (or
DESC) on the INT column , a general SELECT will return the values in
ascending order.
1 2 3 4 5

I want to naturally store the data as:
5 4 3 2 1
without adding an ORDER BY int_col DESC

It would make a world of difference to our app since we are dealing with
huge ranges of joint compression information that need to be read out
sequentially.

I hope this is clearer.

So, does anyone know when it will be implemented?