I think you are stuck. I can't think of any way to create an index on just
a piece of a column's data. I believe you need to create separate columns
of data for each portion of the date you want to search and index those.
That could mean up to 6 additional columns of data for your table,
depending on how granular you need to search your dates.

Sorry,
Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine

                      chastang

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      u>                       cc:

                                               Fax to:

                      06/24/2004 04:49         Subject:  Optimizing selects based on
date functions.
                      PM

Hello.

My question concerns a large data table that has a DATETIME column
called dt. Specifically,  I am often having to do selects based on date
and time functions that look like this:

select * from my_table where hour(dt)= 0

or

select * from my_table where month(dt) = 6

What index should I create to optimize selects on these sorts of
queries? ["create index my_index on my_table(dt)" does not help.]

Thanks. -JC