I'm not certain, but I don't think a multi-column index will help here. The manual is unclear on how a multi-column index is used when you are comparing the first key part to a range rather than to a constant, but I get the impression it doesn't use the second key part in that case. For you, that would mean your multi-column index is no better than your single column indexes.

The problem is that with either column, the range of matches is large enough that the optimizer judges a table scan will be quicker than all those key lookups. You can see this in the EXPLAIN output, type = ALL and rows = the size of your table. Both indicate a full table scan.

You may be able to do better if you know something about the ranges defined by ip_start and ip_end, particularly if ip2org is relatively static. You can find the size of the largest range with

  SELECT MAX(ip_end - ip_start) FROM ip2org;

Suppose that comes back with 1500. Then the matching row will have ip_start no less than your ip (1094799892) - 1500, and it will have ip_end no more than your ip + 1500. Then

  SELECT org FROM ip2org
  WHERE ip_start BETWEEN 1094799892-1500 AND 1094799892
  AND ip_end BETWEEN 1094799892 AND 1094799892 + 1500;

specifies a small range on each column, enabling use of one index or the other for fast lookups. Note that this will break for ip < 1500 or ip > max(ip) - 1500, but those should already use one or the other index with your original query.

Michael