David,

David Griffiths wrote:
We are in the process of setting up a new MySQL server. It's a dual-Opteron (Tyan Thunder K8S motherboard) with 6 gig of DDR333 RAM (registered) and an LSI SCSI card with 6 SCSI drives (5 in a RAID-5 array, with one hot-spare) running SuSE Enterprise 8.1 (64-bit).

I loaded all our data (about 2 gig) into the database back on Tuesday, and created the indexes without issue, as a test to see how long it would take.

Tonight, we were going to cut over to this new machine. I was setting up data as a test run, and started coming across "Database page corruption on disk or a failed file read of page" errors.

At first, we were using MySQL 4.0.20 64-bit, compiled from source by us (the -fPic option needs to be included in the Makefile, and for some reason isn't in the binaries - also, no release notes for the AMD64

So you can't use the binaries that MySQL provides and therefore you didn't test them? Or did you?
Why is this -fPic option important?
I'm curious because we have a dual opteron system too and I wanted to install the 64bit binary (4.0.20-standard) from the MySQL web site.

Regards,
   Frank.

platform at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Linux.html).

I could consistently crash the database by creating an index on a column (a varchar(50)). I could also crash it doing a "SELECT COUNT(*)..." from a table with 3 million rows. Unfort, I did not save the crash-log.

We rolled back to 4.0.18, also 64-bit. Exactly the same issue. Here's the output.

InnoDB: Database page corruption on disk or a failed
InnoDB: file read of page 12244.
InnoDB: You may have to recover from a backup.
040624 17:21:59 InnoDB: Page dump in ascii and hex (16384 bytes):
040624 17:21:59 InnoDB: Page checksum 1484130208, prior-to-4.0.14-form checksum 1108511089
InnoDB: stored checksum 2958040096, prior-to-4.0.14-form stored checksum 1108511089
InnoDB: Page lsn 0 204702464, low 4 bytes of lsn at page end 204702464
InnoDB: Page may be an index page where index id is 0 24
InnoDB: and table yw/boats2 index PRIMARY
InnoDB: Database page corruption on disk or a failed
InnoDB: file read of page 12244.
InnoDB: You may have to recover from a backup.
InnoDB: It is also possible that your operating
InnoDB: system has corrupted its own file cache
InnoDB: and rebooting your computer removes the
InnoDB: error.
InnoDB: If the corrupt page is an index page
InnoDB: you can also try to fix the corruption
InnoDB: by dumping, dropping, and reimporting
InnoDB: the corrupt table. You can use CHECK
InnoDB: TABLE to scan your table for corruption.
InnoDB: Look also at section 6.1 of
InnoDB: http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html about
InnoDB: forcing recovery.
InnoDB: Ending processing because of a corrupt database page.

InnoDB is robust enough to recover, fortunately.

Then we thought it might be an issue with the 64-bit version, so we installed the 32-binary version (we didn't compile it) of 4.0.20.

I managed to make it crash in exactly the same way - adding an index to a table, dropping an index, or selecting a count from the same large table.

040624 20:29:07  mysqld restarted
040624 20:29:08  InnoDB: Database was not shut down normally.
InnoDB: Starting recovery from log files...
InnoDB: Starting log scan based on checkpoint at
InnoDB: log sequence number 0 3576655719
InnoDB: Doing recovery: scanned up to log sequence number 0 3576655719
040624 20:29:08  InnoDB: Flushing modified pages from the buffer pool...
040624 20:29:09  InnoDB: Started
/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld: ready for connections.
Version: '4.0.18-standard-log'  socket: '/tmp/mysql.sock'  port: 3306
InnoDB: Database page corruption on disk or a failed
InnoDB: file read of page 23235.
InnoDB: You may have to recover from a backup.
040624 20:29:38  InnoDB: Page dump in ascii and hex (16384 bytes):

040624 20:29:38 InnoDB: Page checksum 1229875638, prior-to-4.0.14-form checksum 4263044155
InnoDB: stored checksum 2727822450, prior-to-4.0.14-form stored checksum 4263044155
InnoDB: Page lsn 0 748566710, low 4 bytes of lsn at page end 748566710
InnoDB: Page may be an index page where index id is 0 15
InnoDB: and table yw/boats_clobs2 index PRIMARY
InnoDB: Database page corruption on disk or a failed
InnoDB: file read of page 23235.
InnoDB: You may have to recover from a backup.
InnoDB: It is also possible that your operating
InnoDB: system has corrupted its own file cache
InnoDB: and rebooting your computer removes the
InnoDB: error.
InnoDB: If the corrupt page is an index page
InnoDB: you can also try to fix the corruption
InnoDB: by dumping, dropping, and reimporting
InnoDB: the corrupt table. You can use CHECK
InnoDB: TABLE to scan your table for corruption.
InnoDB: Look also at section 6.1 of
InnoDB: http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html about
InnoDB: forcing recovery.
InnoDB: Ending processing because of a corrupt database page.

I am pretty confident that it is not MySQL or InnoDB. But I am at a loss.

We ran memtest86 on the machine to see if it was memory, and played musical chairs with the memory to see if we had a bad DIMM. We tried disabling the cache on the SCSI card in case it had bad RAM.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

David

-- Dr. Frank Ullrich, DBA Netzwerkadministration Heise Zeitschriften Verlag GmbH & Co KG, Helstorfer Str. 7, D-30625 Hannover E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Phone: +49 511 5352 587; FAX: +49 511 5352 538