It's possible that this is more a php question than a mysql question,
but since the two are so nearly joined at the hip, I'm hoping someone
can advise anyhow.

I'm developing a php job that uses a table 'sessions' to maintain a
logical session across pages and physical sessions.  It's a simple
table, with only 3 fields:  the session id, a timestamp recording the
last write, and a text field for the data.

To purge the session record, the user needs to explicitly log out.
When they click the logout button, it calls a logout routine that
calls mysql_query ( DELETE FROM sessions WHERE sessionID= the session
identifier.  ) .

But, when I test that, the DELETE doesn't actually work the way I
would expect it to do.  Inspecting the table with the mysql
command-line console, I can still see the record itself with the
session id and the timestamp seemingly unchanged, though the data
field appears to be zeroed out.

Php seems to think the record's been deleted, though, because an
attempted read returns an empty data set.

If I use the same DELETE FROM ... syntax from the command-line
console, however, the whole record goes away immediately as I would
expect.

Does anyone understand  what's going on here?

Thanks!
Margaret