--- David Rodman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> You mean something like this?
>
> mysql> create table nads(
>     -> state varchar(50),
>     -> url varchar(100));
> Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.03 sec)

OK, you're creating a table named "nads," with fields
named "state" and "url," right?

> mysql> insert into nads values('California',
> 'http://www.california.gov');
> Query OK, 1 row affected (0.00 sec)
>
> mysql> insert into nads values('Florida',
> 'http://www.florida.gov');
> Query OK, 1 row affected (0.00 sec)

I'm a little confused here. I'm slightly more familiar
with manipulating PHP than MySQL. It looks like your
suggestion is a permanent fix. It just occurred to me
that it would be nice if I had the option of
displaying Florida as plain text or as a link.

But if I do this, Florida will always be linked,
right? Also, it looks like you have to do this
operation for each row - California, Florida, etc. Is
there a simple command that merges two entire columns?

Or is that what you're doing here?:

> mysql> SELECT CONCAT('<A HREF=', url, '>', state,
> '</A>') as link from nads;
> | link                                             |
> | <A HREF=http://www.california.gov>California</A> |
> | <A HREF=http://www.florida.gov>Florida</A>       |

So this is the "concat" method, another posted alluded
to. That's the term I remember seeing in another
thread. Thanks.