Oliver Chua wrote:

> To be able to use subqueries, I'm now using mysql-4.1.2b-alpha-win.zip
> I'm using mysql-connector-java-3.1.2-alpha.zip as my jdbc driver to
connect
> to the db...
>
> I'm selecting some columns from a table where the column is created using
> mediumint.
> Somehow, after creation, it becomes mediumint(9)
> PreparedStatement.executeQuery throws SQLException.
>
> I'm thinking maybe the datatype is somehow not recognized.
>
> java.sql.SQLException: Unknown type '9 in column 0 of 3 in binary-encoded
> result set.
>  at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.unpackBinaryResultSetRow(MysqlIO.java:3888)
>  at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.nextRow(MysqlIO.java:1211)
>  at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.readSingleRowSet(MysqlIO.java:2036)
>  at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.getResultSet(MysqlIO.java:395)
>  at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.readResultsForQueryOrUpdate(MysqlIO.java:1824)
>  at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.readAllResults(MysqlIO.java:1278)
>  at

com.mysql.jdbc.ServerPreparedStatement.serverExecute(ServerPreparedStatement
> .java:1283)
>  at

com.mysql.jdbc.ServerPreparedStatement.executeInternal(ServerPreparedStateme
> nt.java:903)
>  at
> com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.executeQuery(PreparedStatement.java:1622)
>
> Any ideas why this is happening? And any workaround available?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Oliver,

I went ahead and turned this into a bug report
(http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=4311)

It's now fixed, and will be in the 3.1.3 release of Connector/J. You can
checkout a nightly snapshot build with the fix after 00:00 GMT on the
29th of June at http://downloads.mysql.com/snapshots.php

(in the meantime, you could turn off server-side prepared statements
with 'useServerPrepStmts=false' in your URL).

Sorry for any hassle this has caused.

        -Mark

- --
Mr. Mark Matthews
MySQL AB, Software Development Manager, J2EE and Windows Platforms
Office: +1 708 332 0507
www.mysql.com

MySQL Guide to Lower TCO
http://www.mysql.com/it-resources/white-papers/tco.php