From: Robert L Cochran [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, June 28, 2004 8:21 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Migrating Access Tables -- Empty Columns, Date and Time

I'm migrating a Microsoft Access 2002 (Service Pack 3) table constructed
by my wife to a corresponding table in MySQL 4.0.20. Some columns in
most of the 3000+ rows are empty. Some of these are contiguous empty
columns. I don't know if Access considers them NULL or not, but when you
export an Access row containing empty columns to a comma separated
values file, the empty column will be represented by a sequence of
placeholder commas. Here is a part of the first table row exported by
Access:

"WEEKEND",,8,1,,0,,,,,,,"at",,,2/12/1998 0:00:00,11/27/1998
0:00:00,,"MB"

Based on recent experience with loading a simpler Access table, these
empty columns will be imported as is by both mysqlimport and LOAD DATA
LOCAL INFILE, but with warnings. I have 2 questions associated with
this:

1) How do I make mysqlimport or LOAD DATA LOCAL tell me the text of each
warning? By default they print a summary count of warnings but don't
issue actual warning messages. The default log files show nothing.
mysqlimport -v does not do it.

2) When consecutive commas (meaning at least 1 empty column, sometimes
several) are seen, what does mysqlimport/LOAD DATA do to the
corresponding column entrie(s)? Will it set them to NULL? Or to the
default specified in the CREATE TABLE statement? Should I explicitly set
these to NULL where permitted by the column type?

Last of all, look at this date and time stamp exported by Access:

,2/12/1998 0:00:00,

Will mysqlimport choke on this, since MySQL likes dates to be in
ccyy-mm-dd format? Will I need to reformat the date with a sed script?

Thanks

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA

---