Someone else hopefully has something more efficient:
UPDATE table SET field = CONCAT( UPPER( LEFT( field, 1 ) ), LOWER( SUBSTRING( field, 2 ) ) )

Wes

On Jun 30, 2004, at 12:46 PM, Aaron Wolski wrote:

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to figure out of this is possible. I know I could do it in
PHP but I am dealing with a ton of records and would rather put the
processing on the DB than PHP/client side.

Question is. can I do a SELECT query on a column that changes all the
results to lower case and THEN changes the first character of each
result to an upper case?

Example:

Currently in DB: AARON
to Lowercase: aaron
to Uppercase: Aaron

Any idea on if I can do this and how I might approach it?

Thanks so much

Aaron