I have to ask, why would you even want to pull that many records at once? No user would want to sift through that many records. I always add a limit clause to all my queries. There is no harm in having a limit 500 when you are just receiving 10 records. But it's good to have the limit there in case your query has a "bug".

It may be that things are hanging on the transfer of that much data from MySQL to ODBC to VB. If you add a LIMIT 25 at the end of the query statement, does it work then?