LOCK TABLE active_table WRITE, history_table WRITE;

#assuming the columns in the tables are exactly
#the same
insert into history_table
  select * from active_table;

delete from active_table;

UNLOCK TABLES;

if the columns aren't the same between the tables then
you need to do something like

insert into history_table (colA, colB, colC,...)
  select (col1, col2, col3, ...) from active_table;

Hope that helps,

Swany