At 19:26 -0700 7/7/04, John Mistler wrote:
I am not certain from the documentation whether it is advisable to create a
unique multi-column index on two columns that are already individually
indexed.  The individual indexes I assume I need for when I do a SELECT on
those particular columns.  The multi-column one I need for the reasons
discussed below.  Any one know?

If you have indexes on column A and column B, then if you create a multiple-column unique index on (A,B), you could remove the index on A. The reason for this is that MySQL can use a leftmost prefix of a multiple-column index as if you had an index on just the leftmost columns.

In other words, an index on (A, B) can be use when you search for combinations
of A and B, or when you search for just A.

You cannot remove the index that you have on just B, because B is not
a leftmost index of (A, B).

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Multiple-column_indexes.html

Thanks,

John