Sanjay Arora wrote:

On Thu, 2004-07-08 at 00:19, Paul DuBois wrote:

At 22:34 +0530 7/7/04, Sanjay Arora wrote:

I am using Mysql on RH Linux 9. I am getting the following error.
Command and result are given below alongwith \s output for diagnostic
purposes.

I have created a dns database and am trying to create a user mysql user
dns with all privileges on it.

mysql> use mysql

Database changed
mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON dns.* TO [EMAIL PROTECTED] IDENTIFIED BY
PASSWORD "dns";
ERROR 1133: Password hash should be a 16-digit hexadecimal number

OMIT the word PASSWORD.

Thanks for replying. Query is executing now but does not seem to effect any changes in the database....0 rows affected!

It's counter-intuitive, but that's just what GRANT says when it succeeds. It either works or gives an error.

How do I diagnose the problem?

mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON dns.* TO [EMAIL PROTECTED] IDENTIFIED BY
"dns";
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.78 sec)

There's no problem. You could verify that your GRANT worked with a couple SELECTS:

  SELECT user, host, password FROM mysql.user WHERE user='dns';

  SELECT user, host, db FROM mysql.db WHERE user='dns';

The first should verify that the dns user exists in the user table, the second should verify that the dns user has rights to the dns table.

With regards and thanks.
Sanjay.

Michael