On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 14:55:40 +0200, Martijn Tonies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> If you need more performance, throw more hardware at it -
> a larger cache (settings -> memory), faster disks and a faster CPU.

After adding a column for "one level up", adding indexes, optimizing the
query it took only a few hundreds of seconds.

Of course, indices should be added to get acceptable performance. That's what they are here for.

Nevertheless, your database design should be based on logic
and all data should be stored normalized. If you're de-normalizing
your design to get better performance, then there's something
wrong with the database engine (whatever engine that may be).

Unfortunately, there is not a perfect database engine. Sometimes you have to break normalization to get acceptable performance, especially when you can't through more hardware at the problem. I have no doubt that some day every problem that must be de-normalized now for acceptable performance can be renormalized at some future time. But you can't know when that future time will be exactly and must accept a compromise in the meantime.

Michael

--
Michael Johnson < [EMAIL PROTECTED] >
Internet Application Programmer, Pitsco, Inc.