Do you have a hosts.MYD, or a hosts.frm file?

If you do, and there is no .MYI file, perhaps the
older version is just ignoring the table and not
making it available while the newer version errors
out.

If those files exist, try removing them from the data
directory (move them somewhere else) then starting the
new version.

Hope that helps,

swany