I highly recommend simply using ext3 for your Linux
setup.  The 1 or 2 percent performance benefit that
you may get from raw partitions is way outweighed by
complexness of backups of the raw data.

either way:

First I would suggest you read the Linux RAID howto:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO.html

Here are the basic steps:
create a /etc/raidtab file for your array (probably
md0) using a 32k or 64k chunk size
(hint: man raidtab)

run mkraid to initialize the new raid array (md0)
(hint: man mkraid)

if you want to use raw partitions:
#this is redhat/fedora specific
add /dev/md0 to /etc/sysconfig/rawdevices
(hint: man raw)

add chown mysql:mysql /dev/raw/raw0 to
/etc/init.d/rc.local

if you want to use ext3: