It sounds like you are missing indexes.....

Please post the results of -

SHOW CREATE TABLE ImportLiebermansStep3Add;

- and -

SHOW CREATE TABLE ProductsOld;

- and we can tell you if you have enough indexes or not.

Yours,
Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine

                      Jeff Gannaway

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      hics.com>                cc:

                                               Fax to:

                      07/10/2004 08:18         Subject:  Need help with my LEFT JOIN
query...
                      PM

I'm trying to SELECT a field (ProductID) from 'Table a' WHERE two
corresponding fields are equal (a.PUBLISHER = b.Vendor AND a.NUMBER =
b.VIN)

Table 'a' (approximately 100,000 records):
+================================+
| ImportLiebermansStep3Add       |
+================================+
| ProductID | PUBLISHER | NUMBER |
+-----------+-----------+--------+
| ACC_4076  | ACC       | 4076   |
| BCD_300   | BCD       | 300    |
| DEC_R50   | DEC       | R50    |
| WIN_220   | WIN       | 220    |
+-----------+-----------+--------+

Table 'b' (approximately 20,000 records):
+================================+
| ProductsOLD                    |
+================================+
| ProductID | Vendor    | VIN    |
+-----------+-----------+--------+
|           | ACC       | 4076   |
|           | BCD       | 9999   |
|           | DEC       | R50    |
+-----------+-----------+--------+

Here's my Query....

SELECT a.ProductID FROM ImportLiebermansStep3Add a
LEFT JOIN ProductsOLD b ON a.PUBLISHER=b.Vendor AND a.NUMBER=b.VIN
WHERE b.ProductID IS NULL;

But this query runs, and runs, and runs, and runs, and runs without ever
giving results.

What am I missing???

Thanks!
-Jeff Gannaway

http://RadioU.com
This Is Where Music Is Going - Listen Online!