I am using MySQL 4.0.18 on Windows.
I want to give my users the possibility to change their MySQL password after
they log in.
The command SET PASSWORD = PASSWORD('newpassword') works fine as long as the
user has been created with no specific host extension in the mysql database
(corresponding to e.g. [EMAIL PROTECTED]). Now if the user is defined in the mysql
database with a host extension ([EMAIL PROTECTED], for example), the SET
PASSWORD command fails with the message "Can't find any matching row in the
user table".
For security reasons, I need the users to be defined with a host extension.

Is this a bug, or is there a way around this?

(Please do not suggest to use SET PASSWORD FOR [EMAIL PROTECTED] = PASSWORD
('newpassword') as this is only allowed for users that have access to the mysql
database!)