Right on!

Effectively, user() returns the dns resolved name. So obviously this will not match the mysql user table entry, where the ip range is specified.
I will try the --skip-name-resolve option, but I have to wait for a scheduled down time of the server.

Thanks for the expert advice!

At 14:29 13/07/2004, you wrote:
When that user does a select user() are they receiving the numeric ip
address or the dns resolved name? If you set up the privilege with the
numeric ip and dns is resolving this the two values will not match. If
necessary you can use --skip-name-resolve.

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephane Carre
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 7/13/04 5:01 AM
Subject: SET PASSWORD = PASSWORD('newpassword') does not work if user has
host extension

I am using MySQL 4.0.18 on Windows.
I want to give my users the possibility to change their MySQL password
after
they log in.
The command SET PASSWORD = PASSWORD('newpassword') works fine as long as
the
user has been created with no specific host extension in the mysql
database
(corresponding to e.g. [EMAIL PROTECTED]). Now if the user is defined in the
mysql
database with a host extension ([EMAIL PROTECTED], for example), the
SET
PASSWORD command fails with the message "Can't find any matching row in
the
user table".
For security reasons, I need the users to be defined with a host
extension.

Is this a bug, or is there a way around this?

(Please do not suggest to use SET PASSWORD FOR [EMAIL PROTECTED] =
PASSWORD
('newpassword') as this is only allowed for users that have access to
the mysql
database!)