Having that many instances on one box is going to be a
management nightmare.  I can only imagine the recovery
scenarios should you have a hardware problem.  Perhaps
you may want to think about writing your metric data
to a local mysql instance then pulling the data from
each instance into the depot database with a script
that runs every few minutes.  Using this pull
methodology you don't have to worry about losing
metrics if your depot is down but you don't have the
burden of up to tweleve databases to manage on one
machine (twenty four databases total).

Another option would be to write the metrics to a flat
file on the web server, then simply serve that file up
via HTTP.  You then have only one database to manage,
you can pull the metrics into it very easily and you
still don't have to worry about a down depot server.

In your depot you then have a couple options.  You
could have one master table that contains metrics from
all the machines and contains a column for the machine
name or you could have a seperate table for each
machine, and if you want to examine metrics for all
machines you could use a merge table.