Hi folks,

Installed Fedora Core 2 with mysql and then removed the mysql packages via the
gui widget. Then installed mysql 4 from scratch. Created a symlink, mysql.
added the user 'mysql'. chown'd etc the /usr/local/mysql stuff.

the command (as root)
   /usr/local/mysql# bin/safe_mysqld --user=mysql &
produces the message
   Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql
   040715 16:43:07 mysqld ended

I've reproduced this several times. I've searched the archives here and have
tried the following things:

0. Rebooted from scratch (yeah, old habits die hard).
1. I open up the services widget in the FC gui. There is no mysqld service
even listed in the list.
2. There is no (hostname).err file in /usr/local/mysql/data
3. The /var/log/mysqld.log file says
  mysqld started
  Warning: asked for...
  Can't start server: bind on unix socket - permission denied
  Do you already have another mysqld server running on socket
/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock?
  Aborting
4. But I don't have any /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock file at all.

So now I'm stuck. It looks like mysqld is still confused about the old install
or is looking for a phantom mysql.sock but I'll be durned if I can find it.

--
Whil