When you delete records, space is freed up within the table, not from the disk. Just like when you delete a file, it's not deleted, the space is just marked as available. So technically you do now have space in your table and you may be able to do inserts. I'm pretty sure the documentation says you will need either 2x or 2.5x times the amount of space your table currently takes to optimize and compress.
Perhaps now is a good time to buy one of those 160GB disks or setup a RAID.

If you are really in a bind, you may try dropping your indexes, optimizing the table and creating the indexes again. Or export the data, truncate the table and import again. Both will most likely take quite some time.