From: Aman Raheja [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, 20 July 2004 5:52 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: query locking up the system

Hello

I executed a query on my server

mysql> select count(*) from mytab where change < 20040701000000

And another

mysql> select count(*) from mytab where change > 20040701000000

Would like to mention, the table is 240 million records and 78GB (MYD)

I've been waiting forever to get any output.
Moreover the server is frozen. No response to the ssh client and I am not
even able to login the console - the server is FROZEN.

Has anyone experienced this kind of load.

The hardware is not an issue - it is a dual processor, 1GB RAM etc.

Suggections?