I have MySQL 4.0.18-standard on RH 9 and it works fine

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

mysql> grant all on *.* to 'mysqladmin'@'localhost';
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.06 sec)

mysql> show grants for 'mysqladmin'@'localhost';
| Grants for [EMAIL PROTECTED]                         |
| GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO 'mysqladmin'@'localhost' |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

I would recommend checking the user table in mysql database and see what
change your GRANT query did, if any. Let us see what it looks like, if
there is any entry for the user you are GRANTing privileges.

Regards
Aman

--
Aman Raheja                   Linux+ Certified
[EMAIL PROTECTED]             Brainbench Certified Linux (General) Admin