Steve Richter wrote:

| In light of the licensing restrictions on using MySql in a commercial
| package, why would MySql be prefered over Firebird or SQL Server 2005
| express edition. Both appear to be no charge to redistribute compared
to the
| $250 for MySql.
|
| http://firebird.sourceforge.net/
|
| http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/sql/default.aspx
|
| thanks,
|
| Steve Richter

Steve, you're quoting a price for buying servers 'onesy-twosey' above, which doesn't appear to be your situation.

I believe that what you're looking for is what's called an 'OEM' deal,
if you want to commercially-license MySQL as an 'OEM', then you need to
contact [EMAIL PROTECTED], as that pricing is always negotiated to meet
your product's pricing and business model.

MSDE has volume and concurrency limitations that are imposed by MS,
compared to MySQL (IIRC, 25 concurrent users, and 2GB per database). It
also is only available on the Windows platform.

FirebirdSQL is an excellent project, but as far as I know there is not a
single organization that stands behind it providing support, training,
etc. as MySQL AB does with the MySQL product line.

You are also much more likely to find people and third-party products
that know, understand and work with MySQL than those that can work with
FirebirdSQL out there in the marketplace.

Regards,

        -Mark

- --
Mr. Mark Matthews
MySQL AB, Software Development Manager, J2EE and Windows Platforms
Office: +1 708 332 0507
www.mysql.com

MySQL Guide to Lower TCO
http://www.mysql.com/it-resources/white-papers/tco.php