At 12:48 -0400 7/26/04, Michael Dykman wrote:
I am using a development build of 4.1.3 (the last 4.1.3 release I think;
mysql-4.1.3-beta-nightly-20040628) so I suppose I have this coming, but
here goes:

As I am running on RH Enterprise Server 3 with a Pentium Xeon (32-bit)
According to the documentation, for a 32 bit processor, I should be able
to grow data files to 16G on a 32 bit system, assuming the OS supports
it.  I am using the ext3 file system which should support at least 2TB.
However, I had all insertions to one table grind suddenly to a halt when
the data grew to 4294967292 bytes (2^32-2).

Has anyone else encountered this or have any practical advice on how to
transcend this limitation?

Are you using MyISAM tables? If so, you probably want to specify MAX_ROWS and/or AVG_ROW_LENGTH table options when you create the tables so that larger internal row pointers get used:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/CREATE_TABLE.html

For existing tables, you can use ALTER TABLE to change the option values.

--
Paul DuBois, MySQL Documentation Team
Madison, Wisconsin, USA