Miles Keaton wrote:
> We've got a really high-load MySQL server and are planning to get a
> new server.
>
> Has anyone seen tests comparing performance of MySQL on AMD64
> versus Xeon CPUs?

These tests are about a year old, but showed the Opteron was usually 50
to 100 percent faster in most often run workloads (the Xeon came out
better in an alter table test - go figure).

  http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030422/opteron-17.html
  http://www.aceshardware.com/read.jsp?id=55000261

Here are more recent SAP results:
  http://www.sap.com/benchmark/

Given that neither Intel nor AMD have been standing still since, a new
benchmark would be nice if someone knows of one. Still, given the
Opteron's ability to handle larger amounts of RAM, that would be my
choice for a database server.

- Richard