I've checked the archives but still need help on this.

I installed MySQL (Standard), production version 4.0.20d on a Win2K (Service
Pack 4) system, using the binary install. Also, I initiated the install
while logged onto Win2k with administrator-level privileges. After the
install completed the MySQLAdmin 1.4 console appeared, prompting me for a
user name and password which I supplied. Accordingly the "my.ini" file was
created and placed in the WinNT directory.

Next, in a command prompt, I assigned a root-level password as follows from
within the 'mysql\bin' directory.

mysqladmin -u root password '<some password>'

This executed without incident.

Now, I'm at the point of creating a database, so I've begun by logging onto
the MySQL server with the following command.

mysql -u root -p

As expected, I am prompted for the root-level password, which I then type.
Unfortunately, I receive the following error message.

ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' (Using password: YES)

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,

ASP