thank you again Paul, I did miss that one altogether, but that does not
appear to be the whole problem.

having added 'log-slave-updates' to all my.cnf of all the servers (just
to be paranoid) I found no difference in the results.  I still get the
same errors message upon 'CHANGE MASTER TO ...' and the error log is
substantially the same.

--
 - michael dykman
 - [EMAIL PROTECTED]